X

Wed December 5 - Open House

Visit Website


List of 5 items.

  • Highfield School for Boys (1901)

    Aberdeen Avenue
    Highfield was built in 1861 by John Brown and purchased by the Turner family in 1874. Senator Turner and his family lived there until 1889 after which Lord and Lady Aberdeen took up residence prior to Lord Aberdeen’s appointment as Governor- General.
     
    At the turn of the century the property was purchased by a group led by Major John Hendrie for the purpose of establishing a local private school. The original school was founded in 1901 by John H. Collinson. On May 5, 1918, the school was severely damaged by fire. Although the school was able to continue operations after the fire, the search had begun for a new site.
  • Hillcrest School (1920)

    Main and Queen Street
    In the fall of 1920, with the support of the old Highfield constituency, and Reverend C.A. Heaven, the new school was opened with an enrolment of 60 boys. Hillcrest was established as a temporary solution to the rebuilding of a new successor for Highfield which would take until 1929.
  • Strathallan School (1923)

    Robinson Street
    In July 1923, the founding patrons (Lady Gibson, Lady Hendrie, Mrs. J.P. Bell, Mrs. C.E. Doolittle, Mrs. William Hendrie, Mrs. S.O. Greening, Mrs. Olmstead, and Mrs. Colin Gibson) purchased the house on Robinson Street for $17,000 to establish Strathallan School. Miss Virtue, an experience Headmistress, attended to the academic and religious side of school life, while Miss Fitzgerald fueled the creative side and supervised the daily living and learning arrangements. In the mid-1950s, 25 Robinson Street was purchased to augment the facilities.
  • Hillfield School (1929)

    Main Street West
    Through the generosity and patronage of the Gibson family, a generous parcel of land, including the late Col. Robert Ainslie’s house, was acquired. The temporary Hillcrest School had survived through the 1920s, and Hillfield School was built.
  • Hillfield Strathallan College (1962)

    Fennell Avenue West
    In 1962, the two schools moved to their current location—a 50 acre campus on Fennell Avenue West on Hamilton Mountain. In 1999, an addition to the campus created the current Montessori School, the Virtue-Fitzgerald Theatre and new music facilities.

    Most recently, in 2014, the College completed construction of the 134,000 sq.ft. Michael G. DeGroote Centre for Excellence. This addition includes the new Michael G. DeGroote Senior School (which opened in 2012) and an Athletic Complex with three large gymnasia, a multi-purpose athletics studio, change rooms, conditioning room, and significant bleacher seating. It also features state-of-the-art music and arts rooms, a heated and covered alumni walkway, and alumni lounge.
    • HSC - Photoshoot - March 3, 2017 (382 of 644)




Our Fallen

Every year the HSC community gathers for the College’s annual Remembrance Day ceremony to remember and honour the 47 alumni killed in the two World Wars. The Remembrance of our Fallen, and all those who served and who continue to serve in the protection of our country’s ideals, is a sacred tradition at HSC.




List of 2 items.

  • Highfield School Old Boys Who Gave Their Lives in the Great War 1914-18

    Lt. Hubert H. Washington
    Lt. Charles A. MacGillivray
    Lt. Francis M. Gibson
    Lt. Mascal Brooks H. Boyd
    Lt. Henry W. Vallance
    Lt. William K. Domville
    Lt. John C. Mewburn
    Lt. Col. James A. Turner D.S.O., M.C.
    Capt. Theodore O. Purdon M.C.
    Capt. William O. Boger D.F.C.
    Lt. Waldemar S. Marshall
    Lt. Gordon M. Matheson
    Lt. William F.H. Tidswell
    Maj. John B. Mitchell M.C.
    Lt. Herbert W. Dobbie
    Ian D.S. MacDougal
    Lt. Geoffrey Lynch-Staunton
    Maj. Victor G. Tupper M.C.
    Lt. Reginald H. Gilbert
    Lt. William A. Crawley
    Lt. Charles B. Tinling
    Lt. Gordon M. Pearce
    Lt. Malcolm C. Crerar
    Cpl. Joseph S. McCoy
    Capt. Robert Leighton M. Ferrie M.C.
    Maj. Charles C. Gwyn
    Capt. Ch. Charles A. Sparling
    Cpl. Donald E. Turner
    Capt. George E. Tinling M.C.
    Capt. John S. Dobbie
    Lt. Henry R. Thomson
    Lt. George K. Holland
    Lt. Bernhard C. Montagnon M.C.
    Lt. George V. Robinson
    Lt. Geoffrey C. Hilliard

    1919 - Pte. George F. Glassco
    1920 - Lt. Gordon M. Pirie
  • In Memory Of Old Boys Killed on Active Service 1939 - 1945

    Maj. James M. Bostwick
    P/O. Calder L. Cleland
    Lt. David S. Hill
    S/Lt. Frederick S. Ker
    F/Lt. Gordon G. McLean
    P/O. Edmund M. Tew
    Lt. John W. Osborne
    F/O. Ivan R. Glassco
    Maj. John D. Young
    Lt. Ian H. Wright


Coat of Arms



Located in Hamilton, ON, Hillfield Strathallan College is a Canadian independent, co-educational day school.
The academic program runs from Montessori Toddler and Pre-K to Grade 12.

Hillfield Strathallan College | 299 Fennell Avenue West | Hamilton, ON L9C 1G3 | 905-389-1367