About Hillfield Strathallan College
Founded in 1901, Hillfield Strathallan College (HSC) offers a seamless academic journey from 18 months to 18 years. Located on a 50-acre campus on Hamilton's West Mountain, HSC provides a unique educational pathway for students through four school offerings: Junior, Montessori, Middle and Senior. HSC prepares students to live with purpose – to understand their world, inspire, lead, act, and make a difference in their own unique ways.
Reporting to the Manager, Major Gifts, the Events Officer will be responsible for the planning and implementation of a variety of College and Advancement events to motivate increased and continued support for HSC, and enrich the HSC experience for our community.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of the events portfolio including Advancement events (New Parent Dinners, Gala, Donor Celebration Events), traditional College events (Annual End-of-Year Celebrations, Remembrance Day Ceremony, Carol Service) and all four school-related events;
- Assists in the full coordination of all Alumni events in accordance with the Alumni Relations Officer (Homecoming, Annual Golf Classic, Alumni Events, Hockey Tournament);
- Coordinates with all four schools and Admissions on a variety of in-house events in a client-service capacity;
- Designs impactful events while building consensus among internal and external stakeholders (i.e. volunteers, staff and faculty, alumni, parents);
- Collaborates with Advancement & Communications department, College leadership and event committee(s) in the development of marketing materials and event collateral;
- Leads all activities on day(s) of event including on-site production, catering, audio visual, entertainment, decor and clean up as necessary;
- Assists in the development and updating of event planning documentation (budget, critical path, vendor contracts);
- Co-facilitates event-related committees along with committee chairs as required;
- Acts a liaison with the Operations department.
- Working in conjunction with Human Resources, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring all volunteers are up-to-date with their Police Record Checks;
- Provides direction to all volunteers for special event duties;
- Communicates frequently with volunteers to ensure they are satisfied and well-placed;
- Works with the Communications department to celebrate National Volunteer Week;
- Facilitates volunteer committees as required including the Gala committee and other school-related committees.
- Prepares and manages budgets, and provides progress reports to key event owners for each event project;
- Coordinates scheduling of all events and any requested needs on the school-wide calendar;
- Participates in the yearly calendar meeting with all School Life Coordinators;
- Creates and distributes meeting minutes and supporting documents for all planning and post-event meetings;
- Completes all purchase orders for vendors (audio/visual, florist, catering, photography, etc.);
- Collaborates with the Advancement Services Coordinator to enter donor information, event invitation and participant lists in Raiser's Edge database;
- Completes all web updates and online registration pages;
- Ensures timely distribution of communications including print materials, web updates, invitations.
Other related responsibilities:
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary degree or post-secondary diploma in a related field
- 2+ years proven experience in special event planning, preferably in the not-for-profit sector;
- Knowledge of marketing principles, sponsorship strategies and promotion plans;
- Experience working with and creating budgets;
- Smart Serve Certification is considered an asset;
- Valid Safe Food-Handling Certification is considered an asset;
- Understanding of Microsoft Suite is required, knowledge of Adobe Suite and experience in the Raiser's Edge donor database program is considered an asset.
- Highly detail-oriented, results-driven and organized; superior project management and planning skills required;
- Ability to handle competing demands and stressful situations with professional composure;
- Ability to work collaboratively and build strategic relations with others;
- Excellent written and oral interpersonal communication with marketing and communications skills;
- Must be able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines with autonomy, and be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Collaborative and flexible team-player;
- Customer service and results-focused orientation;
- Demonstrated tact, diplomacy and discretion.
- The Events Officer is required to frequently perform many tasks involving moderate physical activity, extensive walking and standing, and moderate to heavy lifting over 25 lbs.
Our commitment to inclusion across gender, age, religion, identity and experience moves us forward and creates a sense of community at HSC that we are proud of, where everyone feels welcome and feels that they belong.
We encourage applicants who may contribute to the further diversification of this community. Pursuant to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act, if you require accommodations at any time throughout the application process, please contact Human Resources prior to the closing date so the appropriate arrangements can be made.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.