HSC is a community of peers comprised of world-class educators and administrators. Our faculty and staff guide and inspire our students and are both challenged and supported in an environment committed to ongoing professional growth.
We invite you to join us in making a difference in the lives of our students, at a school where joy, innovation and passion are integral to everything we do.
We are currently recruiting for a Guidance Counsellor in our Senior School (Grades 9 to 12) beginning in late August 2019:
As a member of a collaborative Student Services team, the counsellor is responsible for assisting in the planning, implementation, and administration of a comprehensive Student Services program which includes academic and career counselling, learning services support, social/emotional counselling, the coordination of university applications both domestic and international, scheduling university/college visits and scholarship opportunities, academic testing, and sharing information related to the variety of post-secondary alternatives.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Increase student success by supporting informed decision making related to all educational goals
- Assists students in the development of an educational plan including investigating post- secondary programs of study and/or clarifying their educational goals
- Provides counsel to students related to alternatives, limitations and possible impacts of changes to their educational plan (i.e. adding or dropping courses)
- Supports the Student Success team in the organization of on and off campus information sessions with post-secondary destinations
- Organize and plan guest speakers to enhance students experience and assist them in dealing with social/emotional and adolescent issues
- Keeps informed and up to date on the post-secondary program, destination and scholarship options including those offered locally, nationally and internationally.
- Support students in their transition into Senior School from the Middle School and other institutions
- Collaborate with the Admissions department in leading the Student Ambassador Program
- Collaborate with faculty in the delivery of the Careers program
- Support the coordination of the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test
- Contribute to the co-curricular life of the school
- Other duties as assigned
The successful applicant should possess a bachelor’s degree in education and will be able to provide evidence of exceptional relationship building skills across the school community. Experience in student services is preferred and successful completion of Part 3 (Specialist) in Guidance Education with additional qualifications in Special Education is an asset. Evidence of effective communication, organization, problem solving, and collaborative skills along with expertise in presentations and attention to detail are essential.
Hillfield Strathallan College offers a positive working environment, competitive salaries, many professional development opportunities, a group benefits program and inclusion, as appropriate, in the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan. For more information, including application details, please visit our website at www.hsc.on.ca.
Pursuant to the accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act, if you require accommodations at any time throughout the application process, please contact Human Resources prior to the closing date so the appropriate arrangements can be made.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.